Monday, March 10, 2008

The Memoirs of Cleopatra

Since everything on TV is re-runs, I've been reading a ton lately getting books from the library. I just finished reading a book last night called “The Memoirs of Cleopatra” by Margaret George which was 957 pages and I loved it. I knew nothing about the life of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt, and have always been interested in the stories of Egypt and about the Egyptians. One day while reading, I read a paragraph that I had to read over a couple times and found to be very true. It made me think about my life right now and our current situation with Craig's job or lack thereof. At any time, things can be going your way and then in an instant it can be taken away whether it is due to job, family, health, whatever. How quickly it can evaporate from feeling of security and stability to stress and uncertainty. Here it is:

It is almost impossible to describe happiness, because at the time it feels entirely natural, as if all the rest of your life has been the aberration; only in retrospect does it swim into focus as the rare and precious thing it is. When it is present, it seems to be eternal, abiding forever, and there is no need to examine it or clutch it. Later, when it has evaporated, you stare in dismay at your empty palm, where only a little of the perfume lingers to prove that once it was there,
and now is flown.


1 comment:

Amy said...

That is an interesting sentiment. Very well said.