Monday, August 18, 2008

Girl's Camp

I was gone from Tuesday night to Friday afternoon at Girl's Camp for my church last week and had a blast. I'm in the Young Women's organization and teach 14-15 year old girls. I didn't know if I'd be able to go because of my kids but luckily I have great neighbors that each took a day to watch my kids while Craig dropped them off in the mornings and then picked them up after work. I'm so glad that I got a chance to go because I feel so much closer to the other YW leaders and the girls too. We stayed at our Camp Director's cabin up at Bear Lake and hung out at the beach everyday. I know, I know...it really shouldn't be called "camp" because we stayed in a house with a full kitchen, 3 bathrooms, family room and all the leaders shared bedrooms. I think I actually put on weight that week too because we ate so well. Each day we made cute crafts and did all different kinds of activities around the cabin and then each afternoon was beach time. On Thursday, our last full day, we went boating. We had three boats up there so there was plenty of tubes, waterskies, and wakeboards to go around so everyone had a chance to try what they wanted. I went tubing the whole time and laughed so much I lost my voice. Kathy (one of the leaders) and myself practically claimed a tube as ours and went tubing almost every time. I actually tube jumped on accident. Okay...I really lost my grip when our tube collided with another tube and I rolled from my tube to another. For a second there I was sitting up on the tube processing what had just happened and then got down to hold on for dear life. The only problem was that there were two girls on the tube I landed on so I was pretty much on top of one of the girls. Poor Ashleigh!! I kept telling her to hold on so that we wouldn't fall off and I saw my tube heading back our way so I jumped back onto it without falling off. I couldn't believe I had just done that. I really wish someone had a video camera to catch that one!! I had so much fun with the other leaders and haven't laughed that hard in a long time. All the girls got along so great and everyone just hung out with everyone else, no click groups or anything!! We are so lucky to have the best young women!! Of course, the only bad thing about Girl's Camp was the lack of sleep I got. I really have gotten used to my 7 hours a night and it was hard to go to bed at 2am and get up at 7am. The first night I only slept 3 hours...maybe. Kathy who I roomed with had ambien so I took one and looked forward to a full night sleep. Minutes before I was about to drift off in a deep sleep, I hear girls outside our door. Kathy and I get up and heard the girls head to the other leaders room next to ours. So Kathy and I climbed out our window and banged on the window to give them a good scare. They screamed so loud - it was awesome!! Later on we found out that while they were outside our room, the had saran-wrapped our door shut so we couldn't get out. Luckily Kathy who is the scrapbooking queen had scissors so with some pulling, we got the door open just enough for her to cut us free. Okay... so back to that night...once we finally all got back into bed it was almost 2am and I was wide awake. Desperate for sleep, I took another ambien and I was OUT!! Everyone was up at 7:30am and I tried my best but when I started bumping into walls, I had to go back to bed. A couple hours later having missed breakfast completely, I was up and refreshed. What a night. I don't think I've slept that hard in a long time. Driving home on Friday, it was hard to get myself back into mommy/wife mode. I really had such a good time and it was nice to have a couple days to escape all the dirty diapers, time-outs, cooking, cleaning, peacemaking, being the receptionist, mail collector, bill payer, comforter, and telling my kids for the millionth time to close the door, come here, don't touch that, get out of the fridge, and that we aren't going outside right now!!
Can't wait for Girl's Camp next year!!
I will post some pictures soon!!

No comments: