Saturday, April 5, 2008

General Conference

Craig and I were able to attend the 1st session of General Conference today. Neither of us had ever attended a session before and it was such a great spiritual experience especially since President Thomas S. Monson was sustained as the new prophet of the LDS church. Just being in the conference center, you can't help being touched by the Spirit with feelings of peace and comfort. The music from the Tabernacle Choir is amazing and it was hard to not be overcome with emotion. The best thing was being able to go with Craig and have this experience together and I'm so grateful that we took this opportunity to attend at this time while living here in Utah. We don't know how long we'll continue to live here (it all depends on the success of Craig's business) and I think we both needed some spiritual encouragement which we got today from the talks that were given. It turned out to be a long (but great!!) day, most of the time spent just getting there. We only live 20 minutes from downtown SLC but I guess with parking and standing in line outside to get into the conference center, we were told from people in our ward to leave our house no later than 8am to make sure we were in our seats by 9:30am. After conference, we wanted to go out to lunch using our $25 Chili's gift card and make it a date since we don't get many of those anymore. I happen to be the Mia Maid advisor in our ward so I know all the babysitting aged girls. We have a great babysitter Ashleigh who babysits for free for temple nights and other church events like this. She has given us 10 hours of service from babysitting so now she gets to pass off a personal progress project to get her Young Women medallion. She is a lifesaver with the babysitting money we've saved and is great with the kids too!! I'm so glad to be a member of this wonderful church and thankful to my grandparents who welcomed the missionaries into their home so many years ago. I'm grateful for prayer, to my Heavenly Father who loves me, love and support from family and friends, and a wonderful husband who works so hard to support our family.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! That's so cool that you got to go to conference. How awesome to get free babysitting too. We don't get that in our ward. We missed conference and I was really sad about it. Bart had some MJM jobs in Abilene & Lubbock so we went with him and made a family vacation out of it. We brought church clothes so we could see conference at one of the ward buildings in Lubbock...but we ended up doing other stuff.

MOLLY said...

HI, I'm Molly from UT, I just happen to be on blogger and clicked on your family blog. That's great that you got to attend conference! I was able to go with my teen to the General YW meeting. That was awesome too! I am gonna try that pork chop recipe. ..sounds delish! You can see my family blog at www.familyofmm.blogspot.com